From:
George Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:27:08 +0000
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I can listen to Nielsen for a while, and enjoy his "genius".
>
>NIelsen's concerti for various instruments leave me cold.

Nielsen wrote some fine hymn tunes (still used in Denmark?) and some
songs that can haunt the memory.  They were recorded in 1990 on five CDs
collectively called "The Lesser Known Nielsen".  "Lesser known" is right
- I have never ever heard any one of them broadcast on air.  I can also
tell you that I saw his opera "Maskerade" on stage in Manchester (England)
a few years ago and I shall never forget it - it was funny, vivacious
and, at times, deeply moving.  Nielsen seems to have had a gift for
producing melodies that melt the heart.

George Marshall