From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 13:56:30 +0200
I've had one of those special radio-special experiences again, last
night I heard Ottmar Schoecks songcycle "Lebendig begraben" with text by
Gottfried Kellner.  Imaculatly sung in a recording from 1962 by the one
and only Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (With Berlin RSO u.  Fritz Rieger).

Schoecks music is extremely haunting, even if being late romatic in every
gene - there is, I belive a strong musical kinship with Arnold Schonberg
of Gurrelieder paired with the more atonal pieces of AS middle period,
with out going to any extremes.  What cought my absolute atention was the
claustrophobic poems used, Kellners text is about a man who has been buried
alive.  Even if my German is pityfull, I could realy follow the buried
persons battle of emotions thrugh the music.  This music gave me one of
those profound musical experiences, close to what I felt after hearing
Mahlers Kondertotenlieder the first time.

Previous to this I only knew of Schoeck name in theory, not having
registered that I have ever heard anything by him before.  Recomandations
please, the DG CD that featured this work seems to be out of the catalogue
when I checked..

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DSCH 100 (1906-2006)