From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:38:18 -0700
FYI

   NEW YORK TIMES   July 27, 2008

   Norman Dello Joio, Prolific and Popular Composer, Is Dead at 95
   By DANIEL J. WAKIN

   Mr. Dello Joio achieved wide popularity in the mid-20th
   century by composing a proliferation of essentially tonal,
   lyrical works.

   While his music rarely reached for the profound, it was
   profoundly well written with a great lyrical sense. For me,
   he was one of the greats of American Music.

   Sadly, as with so many composers who continued to write
   tonal music through the 50's to the end of his life, he has
   been relatively ignored. While his music for band continues
   to be played, the bulk of his orchestral works haven't been
   performed in many years.  Our loss. At least we have some
   recordings. Sadly, many of his major works, like his opera
   on St. Joan, remain unrecorded.

Karl