From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 23:09:41 +0200
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>I would add this rough guide.
>
>Brilliant VW Conductors: Barbirolli, Mitropoulos
>Very Good to Great VW Conductors: Boult, Hickox
>Variable VW Conductors: Previn, Haitink

I've got the Symphonies with Previn on RCA (six discs), and I would say
that Previn is as very good VW conductor.

>I'm not a fan of Bryden Thomson's VW -- too syrupy.

Agreed.  Don't forget Matthew Best, which has released som very fine CDs
on Hyperion.  My latest find is Riders to the Sea on an EMI Classics
recording with Meredith Davies conducting.

Mikael Rasmusson