From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:13:51 -0500
Kevin S responds to my grumbles about Mozart, even some I didn't make:

>These kinds of remarks about Mozart often come from people that have
>never performed his music.

Studying or performing the music must clearly get one into it in ways
that plain listening might not achieve.  Even so, surely its not required
for appreciation...

>Lightweight?  How can anyone call the c minor mass lightweight?

How, indeed?  I didn't.  But I appreciate the tip; I'll seek it out.

>Lacking dissonance?  How about the 'ne absorbeat' from the Requiem that
>is rife with descending 7ths in fugue.  That's pretty dissonant.

I'll also seek this out, thanks (though I did say I enjoy the Requiem).

I also appreciate Deryk's reminder about the Mendelssohn Octet: a fabulous
piece (esp.  by the Australian Ch Orch/Tognetti, imo).  Dvorak's music
-- again, for the most part -- has its appeal, yes, but to me it lacks
terseness: I generally lose patience with its repetitiveness.

Bert Bailey