From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:01:34 +1100
My first thought when I saw the subject of Steve Schwartz's post was that
somebody new had recorded the Simpson 9th.  I was even more surprised to
find that I've had this CD for ten years!

Steve notes:

>Handley is a fine conductor and gives us an heroic reading.  But it's
>essentially a first reading, and given Simpson's own remarks about the
>large structure of the work, not entirely successful.  The sense of forward
>momentum doesn't quite get as far as it needs to, and an overenthusiastic
>attack of subsidiary climaxes weaken the major symphonic climax Simpson has
>written in.  Still, it's a fabulous effort and the level of playing very
>high indeed.

I pretty much agree with Steve's assessment of the performance, but I'd say
that the chances of another recording are remote.  The only other conductor
to record any Simpson symphony in the stereo era was, AFAIK, Horenstein who
did the 3rd for Unicorn many moons ago.  All the other symphonies except
the 11th are available on Hyperion, all conducted by Handley, all sound
fabulous.

My introduction to the cycle was the 6th and I was instantly hooked.  For
a toe in the water test, the fourth and fifth symphonies contain sections
that are as exhilarating as any music I've heard.  It's a bit like when
someone asks which Mahler symphonies or Haydn string quartets to buy and is
told, Buy them all.  I've tried to interest a couple of friends in Simpson
and their responses have been at best lukewarm, so he's not to everybody's
taste.  I'm delighted Steve has written about him so generously and I hope
it persuades more people to give him a try.  By the way, anyone for
Holmboe's symphonies?

Richard Pennycuick