From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:21:35 EDT
Don Satz writes about Denis Fodor's Adorno animadversions:

>The above is just the sort of comment that exacerbates hostilities; I
>don't see the point at all of making these remarks.  Just because I don't
>like a particular type of music or even detest it does not make it some
>sub-standard garbage, except to me.  And that's what this is all about -
>taking a personal view and expanding it to cover the entire realm.  That
>is not reasonable.

Lookit, what we're talking about here is NOT aggrandizing a personal view.
Rather, it's about assaying the sum of personal views that make up the
reaction to a piece of music by an audience.  It's about Denis Fodor's
personal experience with attenders of big-hall concerts,.  It's about
his contention that these attenders generally find avant garde stuff (eg
atonal, serial, aleatory) ugly.  The purpose of bringing this up was not to
"exarcerbate hostily" -- a phrase that, incidentally, implies that hostility
existed in the first place -- but simply to state an opinion.  There has
been opinion aplenty going the other way.  Are we about muzzling one sort
of opinion here?

Denis Fodor