From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 13:49:52 -0400
On Sat, 27 May 2000 11:15:12 +0200, Achim Breiling
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In most publications on Bruckner it is mentioned that he was a
>very talented, even famous organist at his time, and that he played
>transcriptions of some (all?) of his symphonies on the organ.  Thus
>I wonder if he composed any other solo-organ music (sonatas, suites,
>phantasies...  whatever)? On CD I saw only a recording of his sym.  no.
>8 played on an organ.  Anything else?

No. 8 is by Lionel Rogg on BIS, an interesting performance.  Erwin Horn has
an outstanding disc on Novalis that contains the wonderful Adagio from the
8th, plus parts from the "Nullte" and the early F-minor symphony.  There is
another CD from the Organ Society with Thomas Schmoegner playing his own
transcription of the 4th.

Also, just last week I received a tape of a recording made last September
of the Ninth adapted for four electronic organs (the CD is entitled,
"Bruckner meets Electone") conducted by Takeo Noguchi.  AFAIK, this is
available only in Japan.  This recording is remarkably faithful to the
score, but it is very impressive (it really blew me away), so now I am
looking for the CD.

Ramon Khalona
Carlsbad, California