From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:57:41 -0800
Ravi Narsimhan asks:

> According to this, [Perlman] played Messiaen in South Florida to tepid
> applause and lectured the audience for not appreciating the piece.
> Which he then played again.
>
> So, applause is now required?

I find this curious.  I assume Perlman thought their lack of applause
was due to the nature of the composition and not a statement regarding
the quality of his performance.  If, however, the lack of applause was
due to the nature ofthe work...I am reminded of incidents like the time
Slatkinspoke to the audience of the National Symphony, expressing
hisconcern over their apparent lack of enthusiasm for exploring the
repertoire.  Again, we have that question ofwhat is the point of art...is
it just entertainment.  I am also reminded of the time when La Mer was
introduced to Boston Symphony audiences and many subscribers threatened
to cancel their subscriptions...to which the conductor (it may have been
Muck) responded by programming the piece againin that same season!

Karl