From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:09:03 -0300
I've bought, some months ago, a CD containing Beethoven's op.  59/3 and
op. 132 performed by the Emerson Quartet (DG, 1997, Centenary Collection
 [ ugh, boys, what a faces!]).  Have you heard it?.  Have you heard the
final fugue of op.  59/3?.  If those gentlemen can play it so, I think it's
time to release a new recording of it by The Silverstone Quartet (Michael
Schumacher, 1st.  violin, Mika Hakkinen, 2nd.  violin, Alain Prost, viola
and Nigel Mansell, cello).  Respecting op.  132, I find the performance
very strange (perhaps, because I'm accustomed to older versions, like
Hungarian, Fitzwilliam or Alban Berg's).  It's sometimes too cold (i.e.
the modal sections of the Adagio, the central section of the 2nd.
movement), but sometimes great (i.e.  the finale of 1st.  movement, the
"neue kraft fuhlend" sections of the Adagio, or the last movement).  Also,
I find strange the soloistic mania of the first violin in some passages I
would like some comments.

Pablo Massa