From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 04:30:10 PDT
Janice Rosen was kind enough to post the following:

>I recommend getting Glennie's "Rythm Song." In this CD, she solos with the
>National Philharmonic Orchestra in UK with Barry Wordsworth as conductor.
>#60242-2-RC.  RCA Victor.  1990.

Thanks for the recommendation, Janice.  I am assuming that you have seen
her perform.  I was entranced.  Believe me, this is not an adjective I use
often.

I went to see her by myself.  My wife and daughters were not interested.
Boy, did they miss out!

Comming to the theater, I really did not know what to expect, but when I
got to my seat and saw all of the instruments crowded on stage, I knew I
was in for something special.

Then, this tiny woman, barefoot and all in white, strode confidently out
onto to the stage, beamed a beautiful smile to audience and began to play.
She threw herself into the music without any hesitation at all, the whole
time looking comfortable and relaxed.  I don't know about the rest of the
audience:  I was spell-bound right through to the encore.  One of the
highlights of the second set was when, as part of a piece, she started
playing bagpipes!  It was wild.

I hope the list members do not mind me using Janice's post as a excuse to
recall the concert and to rave about just how wonderful Evelyn Glennie was.
A memorable experience, indeed.

All the best,

Ron Chaplin
Iselin, NJ, USA