From:
Tore F Steenslid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:00:14 +0200
I have appr.  900 CDs at the moment, and I have had my music organized by
a database for many years now.  I use Microsoft Access 2000, which is easy
to handle with my very simple needs (it's really overkill for me to use
Access).

I have two separate databases, one for each album (all types of music) and
another where I have a detailed list of all classical works.  It works well
for me.  It's very handy if I am not sure what I have or I need detailed
lists (I can get listings and cross listings of practically everything,
very practical).

The practical organisation is not so very consistent.  I have four
different CD racks, a couple of boxes and a bookshelf.  I store all
my boxes in the bookshelf since they are never of the same size.  It's
definitely not the best solution but CD racks are expensive, especially
when you are a student with little money (he says after buying almost all
of his CDs the last five years...).

I mostly store by composer, but I do have some general exceptions for
several artists.  My Cecilia Bartoli CD will forever be organised by her
and not after whatever she sings in them.  On CDs with various composers,
I will also organise by artist (mostly either by conductor or name of
ensemble, never after the orchestra) or into the "various artists" section.
I have done this for years now and I can always find what I am looking for.
I do see how it can confuse others, but since I am the only one listening
to these CDs I don't care.

Tore F. Steenslid
http://members.xoom.com/torefs/