From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:13:17 -0800
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I was searching through the Grammy web site (the group I sing with
>was nominated in two categories; we probably won't win) and came
>across the list of categories:
>
>Field 1 - Pop
>
>  etc.
>
>So there you have it. Our position on the food chain is below
>Polka and Surround Sound.

First off, congratulations to Steve and Conspirare...a local Austin Texas
choir.  They are really quite remarkable and have quite a following here
in Austin...deservedly so and are right up there with the finest I have
ever heard...seriously!

As for the Grammy award listings...when you get the nominations ballot
you will find not only all of those fields, but catagories within those
fields, for a total of 108 catagories.  Ten (excluding crossover) are
devoted to classical.  Classical music usually accounts for less than
10% of the market, so the balance is about right.  Jazz really gets the
short end of the stick...but classical is one away from bottom of the
list, just above music videos.

The fact that something gets nominated is quite good, however, not to
diminish the excellence of Conspirare, the pickings were limited...few
from the major labels...which, for me, points to the changing classical
market.

What amazed me was the fact that Naxos got so few nominations.  I was
surprised not to see some of their stronger (from my perspective) releases
on the nominating ballot.

As I continue to participate in the process, it really seems like a game
of name recognition...making the Conspirare nomination even more remarkable!

Karl