From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:27:21 PDT
There's an alarming trend on this list.  All of a sudden, list members
are referring to conductors as "maestro".  Sorry, but I can't abide a
designation that has a larger than life or royal aura to it.  What I really
can't comprehend is how a reasonable person who is aware of his/her human
qualities and happens to be a conductor could possibly want to possess that
designation.

I side with Jerry Seinfeld on this issue.  In one episode, he poked great
fun at a small-time conductor who insisted on all his acquaintances calling
him "maestro".  The guy was truely obnoxious, and this would also apply to
any famous conductor who liked the term.

Don "The Duke" Satz