From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:31:36 -0700
Steven Martin writes is curious about Respighi's "Symphonia Drammatica"
and the Piano Concerto.

A much better representation of the quality of Respighi's lesser-known
music is found on a Chandos CD, (9232), containing his "Concerto
Gregoriano," and the "Poema Autunnale.  Both for Violin and
Orchestra--beautiful stuff.

Oh Oh--and "La Sensitiva" on Virgin with Dame Janet Baker as soloist is
also a gem.

Finally, the "Adagio and Variations, just discovered in 1991 can be found
on a DG CD entitled "Adagio," (works for Cello and Orchestra), The piece
has such a beautiful coda that I can't stand it!

Oh!  and don't forget the wonderful and faintly academic "Metamorphoseon"
on Chandos with Simon/Philharmonia

Unfortunately, I find the works you are curious about kinda half-baked--but
on Naxos, why not try them.  The Concerto, Toccata, and Symphonia are early
works, and I think back then Respighi only used and orchestra of about 300,
so hardly mature stuff.

But *don't* let your reaction to those works cloud your judgement regarding
the above music.

Dame John Smyth