From:
Drew Capuder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 09:30:35 -0500
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>...  Ozawa sacked? I don't think so.  Once again, he implies scandal that
>doesn't exist and touts conspiracy theories that rival those surrounding
>the Kennedy assassinations.He delights in painting the bleakest picture
>for the noblest of all the arts.  Christ, who does this idiot think he's
>helping.  If classical music were in fabulous shape with fully endowed
>orchestras playing to full houses under conductors that everyone adored,
>this cretin would be, er, let me see, UNEMPLOYED!

I generally couldn't agree more with Kevin's comments about Lebrecht.  The
fact that greed and ego infects classical music shouldn't be a surprise to
anyone, but Lebrecht takes generally unexceptional facts and makes every
possible effort to manufacture them into "scandals." I think Kevin makes
a perfectly appropriate comparison with the Kennedy assassination, because
Lebrecht is every bit as droolingly tendentious and result-oriented as the
bulk of the Kennedy assassination "theorists."

The only way I disagree with Kevin concerns the prospect of Lebrecht
being unemployed.  Even if the classical music business was complete bliss,
personalities like Lebrecht's would still manufacture attacks on those
people in power; and Lebrecht would probably still manage to sell the
drivel.

Drew M. Capuder
Fairmont, West Virginia USA