From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:43:22 -0800
David Lamb wrote:

>In general I have to agree with Steve Schwartz and Deryk Barker when it
>comes to Haydn and Mozart symphonies.  Deryk makes exceptions for Mozart's
>29, 39, 40, 41.  Well, or course!  But I would want to add 25, 34, 35,
>36, and 38.  There's a lot of gold in them thar symphonies.  It would
>be hard to pick four or even ten favorites from the huge cornucopia of
>Haydn.  I tend to love whichever one I am hearing at the time.  They are
>so full of life!  One that often comes to mind is #88, but maybe that's
>because it was one of the first ones I ever heard when I was very young.
>
>Still, let's face it: Mozart was a great symphonist even though he may
>have had even greater strength with his concerti and operas.  My two
>cents.

I've never been able to get into the Haydn-Mozart debate.  One thing
about it that has always surprised me is how often a spirited enmity
toward Mozart comes out of it, but never toward Haydn.  I'm not speaking
of the discussion in play here, but I am reminded of this phenomenon,
as it has come up in other places.

Anyway, I'm with David on this.  I like both, and if I ever had a strong
lean in any of the major areas, it would be toward Mozart in opera.  I
never cared much for the Haydn operas I've heard.  Both to me are giants
in chamber music, symphonies, and masses to name three.  Could never
choose one over the other.

Roger Hecht