From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:58:33 -0500
Reynaldo Hahn (1874-1947) is a name that has occasionally tantalized
me when mentioned in passing.  He was an intimate friend of Proust, I
understand.  Born in Venezuela of a German Jewish father, he studied
with Massenet at the Paris Conservatoire, became a conductor and music
critic of Le Figaro, and survived the Nazi occupation of Paris.

Until a few days ago I had never heard a note of Hahn's music or read
anything anybody ever wrote about him.  (Just read what Baker's has to
say.) Then on Wisconsin Public Radio I head his Le Bal de Beatrice d'Este,
from 1905.  (Beatrice was a Duchess of Renaissance Ferrara (?) who died
young, I think, and da Vinci painted a gorgeous profile portrait of her.)
This piece is akin to Warlock's Capriol Suite, Respighi's Ancient Airs
and Dances, Stravinsky's Pulcinella and Henze's Telemanniana.  Quite
nice.

Two questions.  Quite a bit of Hahn's music has been recorded, as a
cursory glance at ArkivMusic shows.  Does anyone here know any of it?
Any recommendations?  I assume that it will not closely resemble the
piece I happened to hear.

Second question: are there any other suites of (very) old dances by
composers of the last century comparable to the pieces I have named?

Thanks.

Jim Tobin