From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:22:25 -0700
 [This story, breaking on Monday, may have implications for all commercial
entertainment events, including classical music, well beyond the battle
between Madison House and Ticketmaster, the plague on both their houses.
The text is from the band's press release.]

   TICKETMASTER SUED IN FEDERAL COURT FOR ANTI-TRUST VIOLATIONS

   NEW YORK, NY August 11 - Today, members of the rock band
   The String Cheese Incident, joined representatives of their
   ticketing company, SCI Ticketing, and others at a news
   conference in New York City to explain the details of a lawsuit
   filed in the U.S.  Federal Court in Denver, Colorado last week.

   SCI Ticketing filed the lawsuit claiming that ticketing giant
   Ticketmaster has monopolized the ticketing industry, using
   its immense market power to prevent competition for the sale
   of concert tickets.  SCI Ticketing is the first artist-centered
   ticketing company to sue Ticketmaster in federal court.

   SCI Ticketing is owned by The String Cheese Incident and
   their management company, Madison House Inc., based in Boulder,
   Colorado.  Madison House is a management and booking agency
   that was started in 1996 with the vision of centralizing all
   of the music industry's individual functions.  SCI Ticketing
   is one of the "family of businesses" located in the Madison
   House/String Cheese headquarters.

   According to Neil L. Glazer, an attorney at the Philadelphia
   law firm, Kohn Swift and Graf, P.C., who is leading the team
   of lawyers representing SCI Ticketing in the lawsuit, SCI
   Ticketing "had no other recourse than to take legal action."

   "SCI Ticketing has literally hit the wall in terms of being
   able to sell tickets directly to fans because of Ticketmaster's
   anticompetitive practices," Glazer said.  "Our client has
   carved out a truly unique and successful way to do business.
   Unfortunately, they simply cannot compete because Ticketmaster
   is restricting the supply of concert tickets."

   Because Ticketmaster has exclusive dealing arrangements with
   so many venues and promoters, they have closed out independent,
   artist-driven ticketing companies like SCI Ticketing.  This
   has made it increasingly difficult for Madison House to book
   bands such as The String Cheese Incident, who feel strongly
   about having the right to sell an allotment of their tickets
   directly to fans.

   Glazer said that the antitrust violations alleged in the suit
   include:

     - Ticketmaster has entered into combinations, agreements,
     or conspiracies with promoters, venues and others, in
     restraint of trade, in violation of section 1 of the Sherman
     Antitrust Act.

     - Ticketmaster has monopolized, attempted to monopolize,
     or abused its monopoly power in the market for the sale of
     tickets to popular music concerts, in violation of section
     2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act.

   In addition, SCI Ticketing asserts a state law claim for
   tortious interference with prospective business advantage.

   "The decision to file this lawsuit was not one taken lightly,"
   Glazer added.  "SCI Ticketing is a very small company, and
   Ticketmaster is one of the behemoths of the concert industry.
   By filing this lawsuit, SCI Ticketing is hoping to put a stop
   to anticompetitive practices that harm not only innovative
   young companies, but also artists and consumers."

   Mike Luba, co-founder of SCI Ticketing and a partner in Madison
   House Inc., believes that being able to compete in the concert
   ticketing industry is critical to his organization's creative
   and business philosophy.  "For bands like The String Cheese
   Incident, who depend on heavy touring and lasting fan
   relationships in order to succeed, services like direct
   artist-to-fan ticketing are essential.  It allows fans to
   enjoy the complete String Cheese experience, from beginning
   to end," Luba said.  "This involves giving the fans unprecedented
   attention for the essential part they play in the artists '
   career, and being able to offer fans SCI performances in high
   quality venues and with affordable prices.  Today, cultivating
   an artists' fan base through such things as touring, creative
   internet communications, and how they sell tickets are some
   of the ways for bands to survive outside the music industry's
   corporate machine.  Bands like The String Cheese Incident
   rely on these tools for survival," he added.

   Keith Moseley, bassist/vocalist of The String Cheese Incident,
   said the band has aligned SCI Ticketing with their creative
   vision to fulfill a life-long dream.  "Its been a huge
   commitment - our touring and reinvesting and sacrifice," said
   Moseley.  "We hope this action sends the message loud and
   clear that monopolies like Ticketmaster cannot and will not
   be the only game in town; our fans deserve more than that."

   "We are not saying Ticketmaster doesn't have a place in the
   ticketing business, but we have a different philosophy of
   doing business, one that caters more directly to our fans,"
   said Jason Mastrine, general manager of SCI Ticketing.  "Now,
   for the first time in our company's history, Ticketmaster
   is preventing us from acquiring the same reasonable ticket
   allocations we used to get from promoters and venues.  There's
   room for everyone in the mix."

   According to Luba, the music industry is changing dramatically
   with many artists wanting to take more control of their own
   careers.  "This involves everything from the labels they
   choose to who does their ticketing," Luba continued.  "But
   it's not just about artists wanting to control their own
   destiny and providing better service to their fans, it's also
   an economic issue.  For many artists in today's music industry,
   touring has become a much more important source of revenue
   than record sales because constant touring encourages community
   building and fan loyalty, which promotes a sustainable career."

   "The music industry is suffering right now, but there is no
   reason that the artists and their fans have to go down with
   it.  We hope that the positive ramifications of filing this
   lawsuit will reach well beyond just The String Cheese Incident
   and their fans, and benefit everyone," Luba said.

Janos Gereben/SF
www.sfcv.org