From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:53:52 -0400
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>I've long thought Mendelssohn's music got a raw deal, but not when it came
>to his piano concerti, which always struck me as providing fodder to those
>who considered Mendelssohn a flyweight.  But WOW!  Lang Lang sure changed
>my mind.

I had a college friend who loved those concertos and would play passages
from it, just for recreation, on the piano in one of the lounges of the
student union.  He was a reluctant architecture student who would have
preferred studying music but his mother made him go to the architecture
school because that was what his older brother was doing.  He flunked
out and wound up in the army, where he attended Officers' Candidate
School and was sent to Japan.  He was on one of the planes that collided
w/ another in midair for what was then the greatest air disaster in
military aviation history.  I hear those concertos differently now.
He was 23.

Walter Meyer