From:
Robert Stumpf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:27:50 -0500
Carl Orff (1895-1982): Carmina Burana
Charles Loeffler (1861-1935) A Pagan Poem, Op. 14*

Houston Symphony Orchestra
Leopold Stokowski Symphony Orchestra*

Leopold Stokowski
EMI 67569

You have to hear this Carmina to believe it.  Previously released on 65207
EMI didn't follow the Maestro's requested changes to the master tape.  I
found that release to be dull, the performance was not engaging.  Now it
is as if a veil has been removed from the sound.  Details not heard before
abound, the sound has more presence, more air around it.  Now it is
engaging.  Now we can hear the piano, the feathery strings as Stokowski
wanted us to.  My comment on Virginia Babikian, the soprano, simply reads,
"Wow!" Now this recording joins the list of my favorite recordings of this
piece.

The Loeffler was also previously released on EMI Matrix 4 (65074) coupled
with Stokowski's recording of Gliere's "Ilya Morometz" Symphony.  Again,
the difference in the remastered tapes offers a whole new sound world.
Details emerge that were veiled before.  The piano, again, can be heard
clearly, the trumpets are excellent.  The music sounds a bit like Franck,
or one of his students, but there is no mention that Loeffler ever studied
with them.  In fact, he spent most of his adult life in America and became
a US citizen in 1887.  What a wonderful coupling it makes for the Orff.

I could go on with specifics but to begin would mean that I would go on and
on and on.  Aficionados of Maestro Stokowski's art must have this in their
collection.  Those who want merely a great recording of the Orff will also
want this with the lagniappe thrown in.  Short and to the point, I know,
but Oxham's Razor operates here.

Peace from he who is bob stumpf