From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 18:56:28 -0500
Denis Fodor recently contributed the following comment about James Levine:

>At that, he's not all that gymnastic a bandmaster.

This got me thinking about a conductor who is very gymnastic: Richard
Aldon Clark.  A professor at The Mason Gross School of the Arts of Rutgers
University, maestro Clark conducts weekly concerts by the Rutgers Festival
Orchestra during Rutgers Summerfest in July.  He also conducts the
Manhattan Chamber Orchestra.

I think he's excellent.  The amount of music he can get out of 40 piece
orchestra that comes together once a year is amazing.  He is also the most
animated conductor I've ever seen.  I'm surprised he doesn't throw himself
off of the podium or stab his left hand with his baton.  Constantly moving,
it's as if he wrings the sound out of the orchestra with both hands.

I was wondering if any list members would care to comment on gymnastic
conductors they've seen.  Thanks, as always.

Ron Chaplin
Iselin, NJ, USA