From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:19:26 -0500
I have the Karajan, the Toscanini and the Eugene Ormandy versions.  I
realize none of these are among the ones most frequently cited.  However,
of my three I most prefer the Ormandy with Maureen Forrester, Martina
Arroyo, Cesare Siepi and Richard Lewis.  The Singing City Choir of
Philadelphia are well controlled and the sound throughout is warm without
the shrillness of other recordings.  While Bjorling (on the Toscanini) is
one of my favorite tenors, I think Richard Lewis is underrated.  I have
heard him on a few choral pieces lately and enjoyed him in all of them.

The recording is on Sony Essential Classics SBK53517.

Ed