From:
Sam Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 21:08:06 +0100
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>I would take a little something from each translator.
>
>All that is fleeting
>is symbol alone;
>what wants completing
>as fact here is known;
>all indescribables
>are here done;
>the Eternal-Feminine
>draws us on.

Surely the last line should read "Now draws us on" or somesuchlike in order
to fit in with the metre of the line "zieht uns hinan" (four syllables).

I am thoroughly in agreement, however, that the original German is
far superior to any translation; In my opinion, such translations should
only really be needed to explain the meaning to those not lucky enough to
speak German (or whatever).  That said, I have myself attempted a "poetic"
translation of the Ode to Joy from Beethoven's Ninth, if only to provide
some entertainment whilst ill in bed!

I think this also applies to many other things, particularly the
much-translated "Dies Irae"; the only translation that gets close for
me is that of Wentworth Dillon: eloquently superb!  If anyone knows of
a complete copy available on the net, can they let me know: I can't find
one, though not for want of trying!

Sam Kemp