From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:31:16 -0600
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>Can we call music a language? I suppose we can.  But although music and
>poetry both use language to *express* feeling and emotion,a language is
>not the same thing as emotion no matter how sexy Rachy's Second makes
>you feel.

The dictionary gives us many definitions of emotion, from "any agitation
or disturbance of mind, feeling, passion," to "a mental 'feeling' or
'affectation', as distinguished from cognitive or volitional states of
consciousness."

It would seem that the emotional response to music will be subjective?
Are emotions specific thought or are they pure thought, perhaps thought
which can only be expressed in the manifestation of emotion.

We can describe the feeling of anger in words, yet, can we capture its
essence?  Likewise we can describe music in words, but yet have difficulty
in trying to capture its essence.

I guess I keep coming back to my thinking that some music has the ability
to touch us in ways many might fear from it could address some of the
fundamentals of our being.

Karl