From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 00:30:21 -0500
"Tony Duggan" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The two recordings you speak of are both classics.  The 1951 is
>originally Decca but has this month been issued by Naxos, tansferred
>from LPs.  I haven't heard this incarnation yet but I know the recording
>well.  The 1963 (2, in fact) is on the Philips label.  ...
>
>but in the course of my review deal with the 1951 version also.  I think
>you will find it helpful
>
>My advice is to go for the later one if you can only have one.

Thanks so much, Tony.  I read the article, and I will most likely get
the 1963 Phillips -- perhaps for my birthday in May...

The one I referred to, however, is indeed 1963, and I find (after more
research) that it is on the GOLDEN / MELODRAM label (the cover says "Hans
Knappertsbusch Gesellschaft" above).  Now I find that there are many Kna
/ Parsifals from the 50s and 60s (even one I read about from Music &
Arts from 1942)...  including 1964 (apparently still in mono) his last
performance.  I imagine that the Phillips CD would be the best to get
if limited to one for the many reasons Tony mentions -- plus stereo sound
and overall cast performance -- still, I wonder what he learned by 1964...
Last performance can be so interesting.

ARKIVMUSIK mentions most, if not all, the MELODRAM recordings:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q16622A73

Oh for a thousand bank accounts...

Miguel Muelle
http://mmuelle.home.mindspring.com