From:
Patricia Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 10:20:15 -0700
I've always enjoyed Wiren's music, although I think his chamber works
are far superior to his symphonies.  My favorite Wiren cd is Caprice
21326, which includes the Violin Concerto; Triptych; Wind Quintet;
and String Quartet #5.  His most well known work is the Serenade for
String Orchestra, which I have on BIS #285 (the cd is titled "A Swedish
Serenade"), which also features short and charming string works by
Lars-Erks Larsson, Lille Bror Soderlundh, and Ingvar Lidholm.  The
recording of tte Serenade for String Orchestra is also on Swedish Society
Discofil #1035, not as good as on BIS, I think, but it also has some other
important works:  the Sinfonietta in C Major, Symphony No.  4, and Music
for String Orchestra.  BIS has also released at least two volumes of
Wiren's chamber music (cd nos.  582 and 797).  The first is much better
than the second.

If your interested in Swedish composers, I might mention an exact
contemporary of Dag Wiren:  Gunnar de Frumerie -- sometimes called "the
Swedish Brahms." Considering how listener friendly he is, he is criminally
under represented on cd.  I highly recommend Caprice #21400, which contains
the Variations and Fugue for Piano and Orchestra, Concerto for French Horn
and Orchestra, and Musica per Nove, as well as Swedish Society Discofil
#1022, which includes chamber works and songs.

Happy Listening,

Patricia Price