From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:52:02 -0400
Sami Klein <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Don Satz's mention of alphabeting his CD collection, and then Ed Zubrow
>asking the better way to do it, I can only tell you what I do and like,
>not that it is necessarily better.

I go approximately by period; Early music (up to late renaissance), Early
Baroque, Handel/Bach/Telemann, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, ...  and like Sami
I leave a few empty slots.  In my mind, I guess I'm going to use a sort
of hash-table method (go to roughly where the CD ought to be, and then go
forward in the calendar; technically, you're supposed to wrap around to the
early-music area if you don't find your item after the Vienna Boys' Choir
and junk I put at the very end.  Retrieval and storage both use the same
procedure).

Around Mendelssohn I run into trouble; too many composers, and very few
discs from each: three for Felix, one of Franck, two of Mahler, one of
Ravel, ...  too many unoccupied slots.

Arch, always shopping for good CD racks