From:
Andreas von Doebeln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:11:32 +0200
Richard Pennykwick [[log in to unmask] wrote]:

>D. Stephen Heersink wrote:
>
>>As a set, I think the Halasz/Failoni is my clear favorite.
>
>I have most of this (Naxos) set and am most impressed with their drive and
>energy.  IMHO, they hold their own in any company.

Halasz is a good conductor indeed [especially in Mahler], but the Failoni
Orchestra is not the worlds best. They made some disastrous Dittersdorf
for NAXOS.

For independant symphonies I'd go for Furtwaenglers Berliner Philarmoniker
 [15 Sept. 1953] for the 8.  and Karl Boehm with the Wiener Philarmoniker
 [4 Nov. 1969] for the 9.

Andreas von Doebeln <[log in to unmask]>