From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:04:36 -0500
There have been several Gurrelieders live in London over the last few
years because it's such a spectacular showstopper!  It really needs space
to breathe.  One was at the Royal Festival Hall (seats 3000?) with Julia
Varady but if I remember, reviews weren't great.  As Tim mentions, there
was another at the Proms this year with Rattle.  I thought it was a bit
"suss"and indulgent for my taste being fixated on the Boulez, but having
listened more thoroughly (to an illegal source!) it's grown on me.  See
http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/you/reviews/2807.shtml check out the last
review of all.  Nonetheless, the recording is far better, the singers
more secure and assured.  Indeed International Record Review ranks it
as one of the best ion a strong field, and I'd certainly agree!.

Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>