From:
Alan Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:58:58 -0400
Jon Johanning wrote:

>One defence of memory work is by analogy with the actor on stage.

Having been both a musician and actor in my time, I must say that the two
are similar, but at different ends of the spectrum.  I say this becuase,
while you are still going from memory in a play or solo musical
performance, the music isn't improvisable in most instances.

In acting, most all actors are capable of "winging it" in the event someone
misses a line or forgets what to do.  The *responsible* actor usually knows
enough about the play to remain in character and improvise his lines until
things can get back together.  Many audiences can usually not tell much
difference.

In music, however, since the orchestra is playing from a score, and there
are more musicians than key actors in any scene, you simply can't make up
a concerto unless you are blessed with musical abilities that we should all
be envious of!

Alan Lynn