From:
Christopher Webber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:21:33 +0100
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>What I neglected in my Part 1 was to cite the Spanish heading of the
>work's title.  The heading that appears on every version I have is "Los
>majos enamorados", and this heading is applied to all the movements of
>the work.  I'm not claiming it to be accurate, but that's how it's
>written.

Yes indeed.  It is accurate, and must be understood to apply to the women
as well as the men, as masculine takes precedence in a mixed plural. A
better translation would be "Young People In Love".

Of course Don is right to reinforce the idea that "Goyescas" is as at
least as concerned with eroticism as it is with the matter of Madrid,
and I didn't want to convey the opposite.  "The Maiden and the Nightingale"
and "Love and Death" are amongst the most potent sensual (even sexual)
evocations in music.

Compared with Mussorgsky's "Pictures ...", Granados's relationship with
Goya is deeper, subtler.  None of these pieces are straightforward tone
paintings of Goya's works, but meditations on what is going on underneath
their surface.  I found that knowing the music enhanced the artworks -
and vice versa when I saw many of the latter in Madrid.

Christopher Webber, Blackheath, London, UK
http://www.zarzuela.net
"ZARZUELA!" The Spanish Music Site