From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 20:33:50 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>After all, there are very learned people who find Brahms deficient, but
>it probably doesn't affect most of them in their ability to enjoy Brahms.

I would like to know what you mean by deficient.  Certainly you do not
mean that these "learned" people find any technical deficiencies in Brahms.
you could not name a more highly skilled craftsman in Classical music.
I mean Bach is the consummate craftsman as far as I'm concerned but noone
else is above Brahms.  I consider myself to be a very "learned" music
lover.  I am a composer and have been studying the arts of counterpoint
and orchestration for several years from both ancient and modern texts.  I
can find NOTHING deficient about Brahms.  If it so happens that they find
deficiencies in his music as a matter of taste then that is a different
story.

--Wes Crone