From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:59:47 +0000
Scott Morrison writes:

>I am impressed with Douglas Riva's playing.

Although I've just recently immersed myself in Riva's and de Larrocha's
recordings, some differences are very evident.  de Larrocha is more
exuberant and conveys the full sweep of the Granados idiom.  Riva is
rather introspective and more concerned with detail.

I'm finding de Larrocha's approach more enjoyable in the exhilarating
pieces such as "Los requiebros" from Goyescas, while Riva scores points
in the intimate pieces.  These are just preliminary impressions.  I'd
be interested to hear if Scott agrees or not.

Don Satz