From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:08:31 -0700
Roger Sessions:
A Biography

Andrea Olmstead
New York: Routledge. 2008.
ISBN-10: 0415977142
ISBN-13: 9780415977142

Summary for the Busy Executive: Likely to remain standard for many years
to come.

People either love or hate Roger Sessions's music.  I belong firmly to
the former camp, even though I admit that, with one exception, it took
me a long time to make sense of it.  I kept at it, mainly because people
I respected liked it.  It cost me some effort.  Even today, Sessions
doesn't figure on too many concert programs, and recordings lie few on
the ground and don't stick around all that long.  I'm certainly not
musician enough to get much from the score alone.

I owe my interest in Roger Sessions to pure luck.  At the University of
Michigan, I took part in a performance of the final scenes of Sessions's
grand opera, Montezuma.  The discipline and repetition of rehearsal
turned me around.  I realized that what I'd thought about Sessions, based
largely on what I'd read, was off by 180 degrees.  A "cerebral," "academic"
(both in the bad sense), hard-ass Modern composer became a big, thumping
Romantic one.  The dramatic sensibility resembled Meyerbeer's, of all
people, although the music was far better.  A confused, turgid mass of
sound began to clarify into beautiful long lines of music, and the
orchestration became clear and handsome.  Part of this undoubtedly stemmed
from the fact that we were learning to play it better as we went along,
but the concentrated hearing a musician is forced to helped as well.
Furthermore, the composer himself actually showed up, and we sang and
played our hearts out for him, which he appreciated.  I couldn't figure
out why at the time.  After all, he was a major figure of Modernism (I
probably had picked that up from things I had read, since I hadn't heard
anywhere close to half of his music).  Orchestras probably played him
all the time.  Little did I know.

Andrew Porter, then music critic at The New Yorker, also beat the drum
for Sessions, and since I was a Porter fan, I ran out and bought anything
he recommended.  The late cantata When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd
came out as a New World release with Ozawa and the BSO and quickly became
one of those "necessary" pieces in my life, as had Hindemith's very
different setting.

Not everyone, of course, has had my luck.  The situation might change
if orchestras and players take up the composer to an extent they haven't
before.  Sessions, after sixty years, comes down to one piece: the suite
to The Black Maskers, an early work written under the influence of Bloch
and Stravinsky.  Indeed, it has always struck me as an American equivalent
of the early Stravinsky ballets.  Howard Hanson's wonderful recording
has had much to do with the piece's popularity.  I wish recordings of
other pieces would catch on.

Andrea Olmstead, hands down the leading writer on Sessions, knew the
composer and interviewed him for books over many years.  Indeed, Sessions
jokingly referred to her as his "confidante," and there was a great deal
of truth in the remark, as he well knew.  The new bio demonstrates the
intimate trust between the two.  There are three other books: a study
of the music, a volume of his correspondence, a book of conversations.
I've read the last two and enjoyed them both.  Sessions was a marvelous
writer and talker.  In this latest volume, Olmstead gives us a very
detailed account of the composer's life.

As far as I'm concerned, her main achievement lies in creating a
consistent portrait of a very complex man. She doesn't gloss over his
faults, and she doesn't slight his virtues.  The main psychological
fact of Sessions's life was his mother, Ruth - talented, domineering,
self-centered, and highly neurotic.  Sessions came from a prominent
Episcopalian family (his grandfather was a bishop), devoted to good
works.  Ruth left his father, a writer and editor in New York, early on,
and took herself and her children to her family in New England.

Ruth tried to dominate all her children.  Roger resisted.  Music
and books, in a sense, became means of escape.  Instead of going into
the clergy, the family business, he determined to become a composer.
Intellectually precocious, he entered Harvard at the age of 15.  Musically,
especially considered from a professional point of view, Harvard wasn't
anything much at the time.  Roger got little from his classes but much
more from friendships made and concerts of the Boston Symphony under
Karl Muck.  Determined to become a composer, he did graduate work at
Yale under Horatio Parker (Ives's teacher as well).  Ruth had a generally
baleful effect on her children, whom she expected to give up their own
plans to carry out hers.  Indeed, her children didn't seem to exist
except as adjuncts to her life.  For example, Roger's brother, John,
threw over his career to work the family farm according to his mother's
wish, for which he wasn't suited, and died a relatively young man.  At
a time when Roger had a solid reputation, her memoires don't mention
that he even composed.

Roger cultivated as much distance from his mother as he could.  Although
charming, throughout his life he let very few people get too close.  His
extreme self-reliance also informed his attitude toward art.  Not only
could he not release work he considered inferior, he had a lot of trouble
committing to a piece. He missed commission deadlines by years, alienating
conductors (most disastrously, Koussevitzky) who might have advanced his
music.  Still, this bothered him surprisingly little.  Influenced by
Rolland's Jean-Christophe, Sessions viewed artists as great men "above"
their times.  Olmstead speculates that he may have been the last composer
to believe this.  His New England upbringing also frowned on pushing
himself forward.

He managed to marry and began to make a small living teaching at various
colleges.  He never was good with money, piled up debts, and touched his
friends and his father for "loans." However, the big event in his career
was his meeting and subsequent study with Ernest Bloch, who took him on
as an assistant when he became head of the Cleveland Institute of Music.
He even managed to win a fellowship, with Bloch's help, to the American
Academy in Rome and study with Nadia Boulanger as well.  As ever, he
continued to make friends among composers.  He thought very hard about
settling in Europe permanently.  He returned to the United States.  His
first marriage collapsed.  He remarried (carefully keeping the information
from his mother until the deed was done) and eventually had two children.
However, the most consequential event in his life was the death of his
mother.  Suddenly, his creative blocks vanished.  He became, relatively
speaking, almost prolific.  His second wife managed the household details
well enough that he actually began to live within his means, or at least
closer to his means.  In addition to his composing, he became one of the
great teachers of composers, attracting many talented students.  He aimed
to encourage a young composer's creative individuality and pretty much
succeeded.  His students include David Diamond, John Harbison, and Milton
Babbitt.

However, as with most composers, Sessions's life interests me less than
his music does.  Olmstead tries to give us a sense of the music (even
resorting to analysis at one point), but if you don't know the works,
she doesn't really help you.  Admittedly, it's a tough job.  However,
she does include the comments of others more persuasive.  Olmstead does
the necessary work of biography, but Sessions's music still needs a
champion and greater exposure.  His first opera, The Trial of Lucullus,
has lain unperformed for at least forty years, due solely to permission
obstacles thrown up by the Brecht estate.  The rarity of performance and
the misperceptions at least eighty years old have frightened musicians
away from taking up the music.  Yet, these days, when the music gets
played, the better, more knowledgeable reviewers rave and wonder why
they haven't heard it before.  As good as some of the recordings are,
there are too few of them.  In many cases, we rely on recordings at least
fifty years old.  Sessions, like Brahms, wrote music that cries out for
lots of different interpretations.  We won't get anything like a just
appreciation of Sessions until this happens.

Olmstead has done some great research, ferreting out things about Sessions
I, for one, never knew.  Although I found her organization a bit bizarre
at first, I must admit it pays off for her.  She gives a convincing and
ultimately sympathetic account of a deep, brilliant, flawed figure. The
one thing I miss, however, is Sessions's voice as revealed in his
conversations, essays, and letters - charming, warm, insightful, funny.
There is a certain distance in this account, as if Olmstead, a good
friend, had to step back to take in the whole.  However, overall a
splendid job.

Steve Schwartz