From:
Bob Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:06:46 EDT
Bob Stumpf quotes an article and writes:

>This is a main reason I play classical music in the classroom, and have
>for over 20 years.  If we can expose students to the music, that is a
>beginning.

There is enormous truth in this.  I went to a Lutheran elementary school,
which had music appreciation class once a week, starting in kindergarten
through 8th grade.  To this day, I have an abiding affection for Bach that
I am not sure I would have had otherwise.  Similarly, when I was a lad, my
father loved listening to Al Hirt records.  I still get a hankering for the
"Spanish Flea" from time to time.  It's strange.

Cordially,
Bob Chen
Los Angeles, CA