From:
Ravi Narasimhan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:20:11 -0800
Quoting Art Scott <[log in to unmask]>:

>In the delightful new book by Michael Steinberg and Larry Rothe, For the
>Love of Music, Rothe devotes a chapter to the career of classical music
>popularizer Sigmund Spaeth.  ... A couple of
>examples: ...

I found some of these mnemonics helpful although I never learned them
from Spaeth's work.  Somewhere in my youth I heard the following for
the Mendelssohn Italian opening:

Spaghetti, spaghetti, the meal of Milan
With oregano and sourdough and veal parmigian
We eat it by night, We eat it by day
We eat it at work, we eat it at play ...

When I was in elementary school in the East Bay of Northern California
in the 1970s, students were offered free music lessons and instruments
through the public schools.  I studied violin for several years, played
in school orchestras through high school, and found it immensely rewarding
and indispensable.  Even though I was not a good violinist, that's how
and where the classical music bug bit me.  I still live in California
which has seen funding for school arts programs annihilated.  Highly
depressing.

Ravi Narasimhan
Redondo Beach, CA