From:
Laurence Glavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:50:21 -0500
Alastair Scott wrote:

>So the subject of conversation a few days ago was no joke ...
>
>"Eighteen months ago, CD players were wired in to speakers at Elm Park,
>Hornchurch, Dagenham Heathway and Dagenham East stations.
>
>Since then, instances of physical and verbal abuse have fallen by 33%
>and reduced the number of youngsters hanging around."

The story this post describes was also the subject of a 5-minute piece
on NPR's "Weekend Edition - Saturday", hosted by Scott Simon.  Later he
conducted a fine interview with Philip Glass in a longer piece!  Think
of it...TWO classical music pieces on NPR in a single morning.  There's
hope for civilization yet.  (If you missed it, I understand that npr.org
has it stored possibly for a few days; select "Weekend Edition" from the
list of NPR shows.)

"Laurence Glavin" <[log in to unmask]>