From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:53:05 PDT
DG has released a new recording by Anne-Sophie Mutter featuring Vivaldi's
Four Seasons (Mutter directing the performances).  This recording wouldn't
have caught my attention except for the cover photo of Mutter; she's
reclining on the floor with a sexual suggestiveness that would do
Penthouse proud.  I was very surprised.

I'm not personally negative about the photo; I find it appealing, very
appealing.  But, I do feel that it's in the cause of purient interest (I've
got plenty of that), and I assume that the motivation of DG is to "sell"
Mutter not only as one of our outstanding violinists, but also as a very
"hot/accessible" chick.  What do you folks think of this approach?

Don Satz