From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 02:31:17 -0700
Don't miss David Schiff's article in the April 22 NYTimes - I did, and even
though it's getting "old," I wanted to call attention to it, just in case
others overlooked it as well.

   FOR two years in a row, the Academy Award for best film score has
   gone to a classical composer:  first John Corigliano for "The Red
   Violin," then Tan Dun for "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." While
   cynics claim that this is the film industry's way of advertising its
   high-art pretensions, Hollywood may really be ahead of New York in
   acknowledging that the opposition between film music and concert
   music is a phantom of the last century.  Today the two styles constantly
   interact.  John Williams's scores for George Lucas's "Star Wars"
   movies and for Steven Spielberg's "Jaws" and "Close Encounters of
   the Third Kind," which resurrected the symphonic style for film in
   the 70's, have also exerted a huge influence on the work of young
   concert composers.  Philip Glass's music for "Koyaanisqatsi" made
   Minimalism an essential component of any film composer's stylistic
   vocabulary...

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/22/arts/22SCHI.html?ex=989966751

Janos Gereben/SF, CA