From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:15:11 -0500
Bert Bailey wrote:

>Not so long ago, I'd have thought so too.  But then I didn't know about
>Alun Hoddinott (1929-), William Mathias (1934-92) or John Williamson
>(1931-?): all extremely good composers engaged in broadly 'traditional'
>forms.

Ah, a favorite of mine, William Mathias.  His early death was so tragic.
We exchanged letters for several years.  He was the subject of my first
published article.  So much of his music remains unrecorded.  I believe
his work was overshadowed because it was so accessible in a time when
that was not fashionable.  It is well written, tuneful, engaging and
optimistic for the most part.  While he rarely reached for the profound,
some exceptions being works like the Lux Aeterna and the Third Symphony.

I should also add that he wrote a substantial amount of wonderful choral
music.

Checking amazon, the Nimbus issues of the Symphonies, and the Lyrita
discs of some of the other music seem to be available.

If you are familiar with the joyous first movement of the First Symphony
of Tippett, you will find some similarities in the music of Mathias.
That is not to say that Mathias did not have his own style...one can
easily recognize his music...just using the Tippett as a likely point
of departure.

Having been fortunate enough to have met Mathias, I will hasten to add
that he was a most delightful, totally unprententious individual...which
is reflected in much of his music.

Karl