From:
"David Orea C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 21:28:34 -0400
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>As far as I know (and as David points out, I didn't know about the Grofe
>arrangement, so take this with a grain of salt), no recording of the
>original Gershwin orchestration exists.  However, there are several good
>ones of the standard version.

No recording on the ORIGINAL Gershwin orchestration exists?

Gershwin wrote the concerto over the summer of 1925, then orchestrated
by himself.  The work was completed on November 10th.  After very few
revisions the official premiere on December 3rd.  (Damrosh, conductor)

So, the *standard* version is (with) the original Gershwin orchestration.

Here is a list with some of the LPs that I started buying almost 30 years
ago.

   Marjorie Mitchel, piano -- Hans Carste, conductor.
   Werner Haas, piano -- Edo de Waart, cond.
   Jeffrey Siegel, piano -- Leonard Slatkin, cond.
   Wladyslaw Kedra, piano -- Jan Krenz, cond.
   Julius Katchen, piano -- Mantovani, cond
   Eugene List, piano -- Samuel Adler, cond.
   David Syme, piano -- Herrera de la Fuente, cond.
   Andre Previn, piano & conductor.
   Earl wild, piano --  Arthur Fiedler, cond.
   Philippe Entremont, piano --  Eugene Ormandy, cond.

In CDs perhaps my favorite is Levant, piano with Kostelanetz conducting.

About Blumenthal recording, in CD, S. Bedford is the conductor.

I love Gershwin's music, believe me.:-)

Dave.
Guadalajara.