From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 22:08:36 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>Naxos single cd's cost $5.99 in the Albuquerque area.  I stopped by a local
>record store today to see if they had the new Lucy van Dael recording of
>Bach's Sonatas for Violin and Harpsichord - no such luck.  However, I did
>notice a very large box from Naxos of the Haydn String Quartets performed
>by the Kodaly Quartet.  I believe there were 23 cd's in the box, and the
>price of $121.99 astonished me.

Is there any way you can confirm that there are, in fact, 23 discs in the
Naxos Haydn cycle.  I've been collecting these for a few years, and I'd
like to know when I can stop looking!  I'd also appreciate the same info
regarding the Naxos Haydn piano sonatas by Jando.

Mitch Friedfeld

 [I can, in fact, confirm that there are 23 discs in the complete
 quartet set.  It's been about a year and a half since Naxos released
 the ninth disc in the complete sonata series.  It's a little hard
 to tell how many more there might be.  It appears that they have yet
 to release sonatas #1-10, 21-27, and 57.  The early sonatas were for
 harpsichord, and are typically quite short.  There are probably two
 or three more discs to come.  -Dave]