From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 07:27:01 +0200
Mohammed Iqbal <[log in to unmask]> asks kindly:

>Do you know where I can find the text and its translation to English that
>Mahler used in this huge symphony?

Well, you can get the text to part II from a translation of Faust, Part II,
by Goethe.  I recommend the one by Andrew Barnett.  His translation is very
compact, and resembles well Goethes straint setting.  Take the final Chorus
Mysticus as example.

I quote Goethes original first so you can see:

   "Alles Vergaengliche,
    ist nur ein Gleichnis.
    Das Unzulaengliche,
    heir wird's Ereignis.
    Das Unbeschreibliche,
    hier ist getan.
    Das Ewig-Weibliche,
    zieht uns hinan."

   "Everything transient,
    is only a Parable.
    The Uncompletable,
    is completed here.
    The Indescribable,
    is done here.
    The Eternal-Feminine,
    draws us hence."

I have never seen a translation that comes closer to the original.  It
cannot get clearer than this.

For Hrabanus Maurus, I don't know, but many recordings on pretentious
labels, has a translation included in the booklet.  Barnetts is in the
booklet of Soltis recording with the Wiener Philharmoniker.

Mats Norrman