From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:52:09 -0600
Bernard Chason:

>Kevin has it turned around- classical music (characterized by Kevin
>with striking originality but lack of accuracy) as the work of dead
>white guys, is often dropped completely- that has been well chronicled.
>And most of us don't just listen to music- that is a misrepresentation.
>I recall having read a book or two lately.  And painted a picture or
>two.  And I don't feel particularly unique.

Dr.  Chasan always finds a way to condescend when he replies to me.
It's astounding.

>Music on the radio is a unique resource because it is available to
>everyone, even those who don't have an enormous number of cds.  It
>can open doors and ears.

This is true, but as I pointed out earlier, there are lots of other free
resources or at least very inexpensive ones available to most people.
Radio is, however, a commercial enterprise (even NPR is to the degree
that it gets its funding from listeners.) As such, it has to give the
people what they want and what they are willing to pay for.  It doesn't
seem to be classical music, and that may be sad, but I would rather have
news and talk than nothing.  At least the news and talk is intelligent,
for the most part interesting, at least to me at any rate.  Perhaps I'll
learn some more originality from the NPR programs to which I listen.  >
>Incidentally, I strongly recommend that listers take a look at the many
>really excellent blogs on classical music, many of which are run by
live >guys and girls- no knowledge of skin color.  Most have very wide
musical >interests.  You can start with Alec Ross - he lists a host of
others, >many run by living, breathing composers.

Quite right. They are very interesting and informative.

Kevin