From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 23:45:44 -0400
David Harbin wrote:

>I am intruiged by the continuing Bax cycle on Naxos.
>
>#1 is a trememdous performance let down by a poor recording.  The
>trombones buzz to an extent that they could be used to strip wallpaper.

Ah, vindication.  I've been saying this since the disc came out, but not
everyone agrees.  It makes this disc very hard to listen to.

>#2 the jewel in the crown.  Beautifully structured Symphony with lots of
>colour and imagination.  Dramatic sound and very musical performance.

Yes.

>#3 I have heard that the ending is not as enegmatic as it could be.
>Haven't been able to compare it with the Bryden Thompson version yet.

Overall, the Naxos is far better.  Thomson is just too lyrical in music
that is not always lyrical, too warm in music that is often cold.  But your
observation about the epilogue is correct.  This Thomson gets right.  But
the Naxos is invaluable.  It's the first decent Third in stereo.  The old
Downes was a flop.

>#5 the best recorded of the three.  However, I feel something is wrong
>with the work itself.  Many of the ideas and rhythms sound routine.
>The 'optimistic' coda seems tacked on.  Is the composer's inspiration
>flagging??? Am I missing something?

I haven't heard the Naxos Fifth. I do like the piece in the Lyrita
recording with Leppard.

Roger Hecht