From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:32:10 -0800
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I believe they stayed with classical music, and suffered obscurity because
>of it.

I actually also belive Mozart would have contributed to the classical music
if he had been born 1956.

>The fact that Mozart's father and publisher were on his case to write more
>to the public's taste shows that he went where his artistry took him rather
>than pander to the masses.

This means that if we move Mozart to our time, we must move father Leopold
to our time to...?:)

>No, he wouldn't have written the same works, because his influences would
>have been different.) Neither would Beethoven have written the same works
>back then if Mozart had been transplanted 200 years later, because he would
>have had no Mozart to influence him.) But Mozart was too much of a genius
>to merely cater to the public.  To say that he was merely a pop composer
>of his time does a disservice to his talent and output.

I don't completely agree here, and thats because I nodded to something
Ms.Wang wrote in another post, and that is that Classical Music can be
taken as sheer easygoing enjoyment, but it is much more.  Perhaps I
thought, Mozart had written, besides more ambitious music, Musicals today,
being a concurrent of Mister Andrew Lloyd Webber.  I would even go as far
as saying that works like "Die Entfuehrung aus dem Serail" were a sort of
18th century Musicals.  Lloyd Weber wrote almost all his famous tunes when
he was young, and put them in the deskdrawer - because he was a smart
bussinessman, he didn't pour out all these nice hits - we know them as
"The Phantom Theme", "Don't cry for me Argentine" etc - at once.  He
circumpassed each of them with a frame, thats the rest of the musical, and
releasing them with some years distance in time, all to win so much money
as possible on each work.  Lloyd Webber said to an acknowledge of mine who
met him at Christmas Party in London: "I had a dream when I was young, and
that was to be able to every day drive rollerskates into the bank and pick
up one million pounds from my account.  And today I can do that"*smile*.
Ergo: perhaps Mozart born 1956, had written Musicals at an early stadium,
and with his already then reached skill, he would win a Lloyd-Webbers
success and richdom, what would make him lazy and that deprives us from all
those masterworks the archbishop of Salzburg paid a moderate salary for.

Mats Norrman