From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:58:46 -0500
Marian Tryggvason wrote:

>Hi everyone I am conducting survey into how and where most people who like
>*serious* classical music purchase their CDs.  Can your local record store
>cope?

I go to stores when there is one in the area that I like.  The chains
are pretty generic, and the best stores are ones that are staffed by
knowlegeable real people.  This isn't often the case.  One of the best
stores I have been in is Classical Millennium in Portland, OR.  This is
an independent store AFAIK and they do a good business.  They are a quasi
separate store from Music Millenium next door which deals in every other
kind of music than classical.  I still like stores because I like to
browse, and hold the product in my hands.

>Do you use the internet? Is so, do you like the sites available?

I do a lot of buying on the internet.  Mostly I use amazon.com because
the site is well-organized and they ship pretty fast.  Their return
policy is good.  You can call them and talk to a real person if you
have a problem about your order.  I have also used CD Now, CD World, CD
Connection, CD Universe, BMG, and one other.  They all have their strengths
and weaknesses.  Search engines are improving but I think that is still a
weak spot in internet shopping.

For internet sites I require fast accurate searches, an efficiently
designed page that doesn't take forever to load, sound samples, pictures
of album covers, and low prices.  Sales are always nice, and a break on the
shipping helps too.  Ordering should be easy and clear.  Access to Account
information is a must, as is an email address for complaints, comments,
questions, etc.

Chris Bonds