From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:55:34 -0800
John Dalmas ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>In an article about Bernstein and Mahler in the NY Times two Sundays
>ago composer David Schiff wrote that Wilhelm Furtwangler never performed
>a Mahler symphony.  I know this to be untrue recalling having read on
>the Mahler List a while back that Furtwangler conducted M1, 2, 3 and 4
>on several occasions in Germany and Austria between the two World Wars.
>Unfortunately, I don't remember the source of this information.  Does
>anyone have a clue? Deryk? Tony?

A quickish glance through John Hunt's WF concertlisting shows that he
conducted M1 in Leipzig and Berlin in 1925, again in Berlin in 1929;
M3 in Leipzig, Vienna and Berlin in 1924; M4 in Berlin in 1932

I can't find any references to an M2 and I'm not really surprised - that's
quite a way from his style.

I had thought he'd even performed one in NY, but I think I was mistaken.

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)