From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 08:47:23 +0100
Alan Moss wrote:

>One British conductor whose name, for reasons I cannot understand, has
>AFAIK yet to appear even in the lower ranks of the British Honours List,
>is Richard S.  Hickox, who has made an enormous contribution (in various
>ways and in many different countries) especially to British music. ...

Just a matter of time, I would think.  Hickox will be next.

Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>Tony Duggan wrote:
>
>>Remember that when Knighthoods are awarded by the Queen to non-British
>>citizens they cannot use the title "Sir".  So Andre Previn and Bernard
>>Haitink carry just the letters KBE after their name.
>
>However, there are non-British holders of knighthoods who do use the
>title, Sir Charles Mackerras being one example.

Mackerras holds Australian citizenship and is therefore fully entitled to
use "Sir" before his name.  What I should have said was "British citizens
and citizens of Commonwelath countries where the Queen is Head of State",
like she is in Australia.  What will happen when Australia becomes a
Republic, I don't know.  Perhaps Mackerras well be defrocked.

Tony Duggan, England.
Mahler recordings survey:
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Mahler/index.html